Friday, June 4, 2010

"What's In a Name?"


Hello Reader(s),

It's been nearly three weeks since I graduated from Texas A&M University and I've had the most difficult time motivating myself to do anything other than scratch myself and sleep. Seriously--I've got to drive to San Antonio tomorrow to hand deliver a registration sheet for St. Mary's Law School that I forgot to mail before graduation and my subsequent stay in Austin with Mr. Flintstone.

The important thing, though, is that I'm back and ready to write.
One more time for the cheap seats: I'M BACK, B*TCHES!

My parents, reader(s), are in the midst of divorcing. In the coming legal proceedings, my mother's plan is to squeeze and drain as much money and assets as she can from my dad. To aid in this conquest, she is hiding behind the fact that my dad was romantically interested in another woman for the last four years. My mother threw my dad out approximately six years ago and they have never reconciled since. When I recently spoke with her, my mother told me that what my dad is doing is wrong because they were married.

Much in the tradition of 500 days of Summer (which has in no way influenced our relationship, but I felt was worth mention) Mr. Flintstone and I are involved in a relationship sans titles. He makes me happy everyday and I cant get enough of him. But I'd be lying if I said the fact that we don't have titles doesn't give me periodic anxiety.

Where I'm going with this is I'd like to pose a question; How important are titles in the world of relationships?

In my parents' case, marriage was a mere word--and had long been just that. In Mr. Flintstone & I's affair, nearly all aspects feel, taste, look like a relationship except, of course, he is not my boyfriend.

I look at the disolution of my parents' marriage, and I see relationships around me where one or more partners are unaware that their someone special is steppin' out on them. What I see from this is that a title doesn't guarantee anything. In our day and age, marriage hardly guarantees anything.

But I'll be damned if I haven't turned Mr. Flintstone and I's situation over and over in my mind--I have to ask myself if I'm a fool, if I'm setting myself up to be seriously humiliated or worse, heart broken.

And it's not about wanting a boyfriend; Flintstone technically IS my ex boyfriend, and in the time we've been "broken up," I could have had several boyfriends but I don't see a purpose in being with someone if I'm not 100%  into them or being without someone I am 100% into if I can help it.

So...I hope you have an answer because I have no effin' idea.

Hey, like I said, I've been horribly unproductive for 3 weeks.

& the photo at the top IS NOT Mr. Flintstone & I, but instead, my friend Smoochie & me--here he's pretending he adores me.

3 comments:

  1. I've gone through the same thing. For me, it's a little more comforting having the title because it's supposed to mean something. In the case of my best friend, all of those nontitled things lead to her being heartbroken when they used it against her and just up and left. I guess it just depends on how much you trust each other and how strongly you feel about each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree titles in this day and age does not prove that the person is totally devoted to you but I think it is still comforting. Lets you know at least when they first make the commitment that they are trying to be devoted. I will take a try over nothing any day. But hey thats me. Check out my blog if u dare ;-) www.wantitloveitcraveit.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there Definitely IS something to be said about lables, titles, what-have-you. It drives me crazy wondering how long we can possibly drag this out without going one way or the other.

    But then I also meet a lot of girls who hold contempt for me because of the position I'm in in my relationship. Yet they have NO idea there boyfriend is cheating. & I have to admit, I'd rather be in my position and be able to take advantage of being technically single than think I'm in a mutually committed relationship.

    What it boils down to is; I have NO idea what I'm doing.

    @Sultry_K I read your latest post & I definitely think it's sad when couples let the sex go out of their relationship. Especially younger couples. Sex isn't everything but I think it's definitely a factor in a happy relationship.

    ReplyDelete