Wednesday, October 13, 2010

For the Love of Money

I know I will come under a lot of fire for saying this but after careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that I'd much rather be rich and single than poor and in love.

This point of view is NOT to be confused with the concept that money is greater than love.
I could NEVER believe in that: I strongly feel that love between ALL people is what's missing in this world.
Love alone could solve mankind's mistakes. A quote I hold dear to my heart is one by Helen Keller, "It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui."

But I think there is more to life than getting married and having babies, I think there's more to life than having a soulmate. (& I'm not saying that both of those aren't goals of mine for someday in the VERY distant future).

What I'm saying is simply: I would rather be rich and single than poor and in love. Before you get your panties in a twist, don't assign more to that statement than what's there.

I absolutely hate when people say, "My life didn't have meaning until I met you."
That's just terrible--how could all of your life, ever, not have meant anything? You have to have other things you love about your life, other people you love, & you have to love YOURSELF as an independent person--your whole value shouldn't be contingent upon one person (unless it's your child).

Anyway, let me get off my soap box & fully explain my rationale.

I think life can still be wonderful without ever having a romantic love.

The key to understanding this is not thinking of money in terms of things but rather experiences and opportunities.-->What Love & Money have in common is the power to change things, money is often looked upon unfavorably (afterall, Love has no adverse consequences & can't fall into the wrong hands & cause catastrophe) but money is the beginning of many wonderful things also.

When I say rich, don't think of a mansion or the fashion & partying.
Don't think of celebrity.

Think of money as the power to set up charities and back research.
& if you're selfish (even the Best of are, sometimes), think of money as the opportunity to travel around the world & see things you might not otherwise see.

I hate to say it, but I'd rather have a scholarship named after me, or have the cure for AIDS found after I donate funding to a determined scientist, & I'd rather see the world than live hand-to-mouth with the love of my life.

& I'm sorry if that makes me superficial.

But I think that lifestyle can ONLY be viewed as sad IF the rich person in question does not love at all.

There are more people to love than a romantic partner, for example family & friends.
There are people more deserving, or people who need it more--the homeless, those living with famine, those who are ill and lack the means to get treated.

As evidence, finally, I offer up the following example of a fulfilled life carried out without romantic love:

Willy Wonka. I think we can all agree that even without ever knowing a woman's warmth, his life was still pretty fantastic and even magical.

But if Willy Wonka is too whimsical for you, I offer up an even more magical & more beautiful life:

Mother Teresa did not focus her love on person but spread it broadly and touched the lives of many.

For all of the above reasons, I stand by my position & openly welcome debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment