Thursday, March 3, 2011

Failure on the Spot

Recently, it's come to my attention that I'm not so good at coming up with stuff on the spot.

I have a bad case of blurting things out without thinking through them.
On the spot.

& it's always the strangest things. Like things I didn't even know I was thinking.

Last week, I had an appointment with my school's academic support office.
My friends were going to lunch, peer pressured me into going & I had a bad feeling I was going to be late.
So I called in.
I didn't want to say that I was going to be late because as we spoke I was in my friend's car en route to cheddars. Instead, I told her I was late because I had a doctor's appointment...an impromptu doctor's appointment.
The secretary for academic support is the sweetest lady ever, so she asks me if I'm okay.
I could have picked a million things to say. Anything literally would have been better than what I said.
But, before I knew it, I told her I'd found a suspicious lump in my chest and was going to see the doctor for an exam. "It's probably nothing, I'm a big hypochondriac. But you know, it never hurts to check...tissue samples and such..."
& the Lady says, "Aww, well, we'll keep you in our prayers."
You guys, I just lied to the sweetest woman in America...about having CANCER.
I am what's wrong with this country.

After I hung up, my friends started laughing hysterically.
"Why did it HAVE to be a lump in your chest?"
"Because I really did have one!" <--that's true. A couple of days before, I had some weird swelling near my collar bone. I asked my brother if he'd tell me if it felt weird & he reaches forward & then is like, "No, no, I cant. I just can't. It's too weird. But, on the upside, if you ARE dying we'll know for sure because it'll keep getting bigger."
It went away. I have no idea what it was but there's potential that it was a bee sting I'd recieved earlier that day that swelled up when I failed to remove the stinger. I'm not even sure I was stung by a bee but I did feel a little prick on my chest while walking Shakespeare and then see a bee fall to the ground. If I WAS stung by a bee, the stinger is still lodged into the skin by my collar bone...
Anyway.

So then today, in Constitutional Law, my professor calls on me and he asks me about factors university admissions can take into account when choosing future students. The case we're reading specifically mentions upper level course work and the professor asks me what that means.
So I'm like, "Ugh... I guess like the school would look at the student's transcript and see what kind of courses they've taken. Classes like 'Science of Cheese' would probably not be impressive."
...I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE THAT CAME FROM!

All these recent blurtings of random things has me concerned about the thoughts I'm subconciously thinking all the time. What's wrong with my brain?

2 comments:

  1. That's so horrible!! I can't believe you made up that big of a lie on the spot!!!

    I have to admit, I wouldn't be impressed with "The Science of Cheese" either. hahahaaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, you'd think I'd have said I had the flu... or something not fatal. I have no idea what's wrong with me...

    ReplyDelete