Sunday, June 26, 2011

I didn't write this

XXII

Love, how often I loved you without seeing--
without remembering you--
not recognizing your glance, not knowing you, a gentian
in the wrong place, scorching in the hot noon,
but I loved only the smell of the wheat.

Or maybe I saw you, imagined you lifting a wineglass
in Angol, by the light of the summer's moon;
or were you the waist of that guitar I strummed
in the shadows, the one that rang like an impetuous sea?

I loved you without knowing I did; I searched to remember you.
I broke into houses to steal your likeness,
though I already knew what you were like. And, suddenly,

when you were there with me I touched you, and my life
stopped: you stood before me, you took dominion like a queen:
like a wildfire in the forest, and the flame is your dominion.
                              --Pablo Neruda

---
I always set down my Pablo Neruda books and forget to pick them up for months at a time.
But every time I open them up, I devour every word--sometimes I feel like I'm literally tasting each line.
His work is so succulent and honest and spot on.
What I especially like about this sonnet are lines 10-13;

"I loved you without knowing I did; I searched to remember you.
I broke into houses to steal your likeness,
though I already knew what you were like."

That line for me is exactly what it's like to instantly click with someone.
Despite the brevity of your acquaintance, it's like all along there was something inside you meant to connect with that other person--and that is NOT an innuendo.
The best possible way of describing what I'm trying to say without sounding dirty is this:

It's like your leaving your home. You step onto the door mat and reach for the door knob and get static shock. You've known your whole life that this could and does happen. But you don't feel yourself picking up extra electrons from the door mat. You're not conscious of the fact that you've got a negative static charge. And you don't expect the door knob to act as a conductor. All you know is that you feel a little spark as electrons move from you to the knob.

I'm no scientist, but I know that a little spark between two people can be entirely pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment