Monday, April 16, 2012

Release, 2

In the post immediately preceding this one, I mentioned that it was my best friend's birthday celebration this past weekend.

A trip to the tattoo shop was already in her plans but when I found myself there, I went for it.

Lately, Solo's been watching a lot of futurama, which brought me back to one of my old loves; the Life in Hell Comic Series by Matt Groening.

One of my favorites was always this one:
I'd like to be honest:
I'm what I would call a career mistake maker.
Sometimes, I feel like I AM Murphy's Law on legs.

& to be even more honest, I don't mind it.
Which isn't to say that when everything's going wrong, I don't lose my shit--because I do.
I lose my shit like none other, figuratively.

But, having a disposition towards humor and humility, I feel like every time I make a mistake, I'm able to turn it around & if not learn something from it, at least make a funny story of it.
That was the basis of this blog back in '09 & it still rings true today.

In my first ever posting to this blog, I admitted that I like (still) Baz Luhrmann's "Everybody's Free," better known as The Sunscreen Song. It's true, I love this song. I'm only mildly ashamed.
Probably my favorite part is this line,
"Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who 
supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of 
fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the 
ugly parts and recycling it for more than 
it’s worth."


I'm getting way off track but before I get back on track, I just want to say, I have no idea who this blog is for. I'd like to think that I write for the few people who come here but in all honesty, I think a lot of the writing has been for me. I need to feel better about all the calamity I walk into. I need to feel like I'm not just blindly and vainly making mistakes for nothing and taking nothing away. Maybe this blog helps me process what's just happened and how to handle it. I don't know.

But anyway, so I got "Mistakes were made" tattooed on me. I think it's kind of funny, others seem less amused, some don't get it. It's cool with me.

& while I'm on this track, I feel it's important to mention that over the weekend I realized something-- I realized that all the worrying in the world about growing up and having to face responsibilities and expectations won't stop me from getting older. I guess all the birthday celebrations, seeing the movie, Young Adult, and spending nearly two full weeks with Solo (a story for another time), brought this about. 
Worrying about becoming an adult won't stop you from becoming one. The only choice we have in the matter is deciding what kind of adult we want to be. 
I still have no idea who I want to be; it's a work in progress & whatever I think now, time has proven, is probably a mistake. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that I get to share this calamity with you /end corniness/ And I like that tattoo. It has a good life story behind it and who cares if no one gets it but you. I feel your freak out about becoming an adult...I had so many meltdowns this past weekend over my upcoming birthday in which I leave teenagerdom for ever (god, I'm a baby). Also, you're like my psychic fairy godmother. You always bring about these life lesson posts in times when I'm going through like the exact same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! You ARE a baby!!! To be 20 again *sigh*
      20's not so bad; you are still young & beautiful & will be for years. :)
      Psychic Fairy Godmother; I LOVE IT! I'm glad I can be here & glad these posts are good for someone besides me & I'm so grateful to have you as a reader & be your reader! :)

      Delete