Wednesday, May 22, 2013

High School Whore

To say that I had a bad reputation in high school would be an understatement.
The short-hand: people said I was a slut.
Or, in the hip-hop oriented community where I grew up, a ho.

Like so many things in life, this word is completely contextual. As Morticia Addams said, "What's normal to the spider is chaos to the fly."
So, to some, I may have done more than my fair share to have earned the title of Sluts McGee.
I was, and am, certainly no Mother Teresa.

I will say, however, that in the context of my high school experience, I don't think I was a whore.
And, to wit, there were certainly bigger whores who received far less attention and bullying than I did.
But, I digress.

I will concede:
I did some things that maybe fanned the fire, so to speak, about my high school reputation.
>I wore jeans with things written across my ass; I hung out with boys, a lot of boys, and did my fair share of making out in stairwells; I lost my virginity young to a spiteful, spiteful boy who liked to hold this fact out as his greatest success among our peers; I ate a lot of lollipops and I did it because I liked all the negative attention, although I couldn't grasp at the time that the attention was negative.

And I'm not sorry.

What I've learned as an adult is that promiscuity measures nothing but just that.
It doesn't tell you whether someone is smart; it doesn't tell you whether someone is kind; and it is not a bar to success.
There are all kinds of sluts: successful sluts, unsuccessful sluts, rich sluts, sluts who use their sexuality as means of gaining success, funny sluts, smart sluts, stupid sluts, beautiful sluts, fugly sluts, and the list goes on infinitely.

If I have any regrets, it's only that "you're always 17 in your hometown."

With that being said, on May 18th, I received my Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree from St. Mary's University School of Law and I was also awarded a Pro-Bono Certificate (for which you complete at least 50 hours of pro-bono legal work).
& So, to my high school peers, I'd like to say, this slut is both kind and educated and within the next few months, after successful completion of my bar exam, I will be available to represent you in your legal matters and I will gladly accept all of your money. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! I bet you're super happy for it to be over. I would definitely hire you to represent me if I lived anywhere close to you.

    ReplyDelete